How to access Operation Nightwatch shelter program
Each night, Operation Nightwatch has a limited number of shelter spots available to our guests. There is no guarantee that shelter will be available on any given night.
Our homeless guests are encouraged to “travel light.” There is no room at any Nightwatch shelters to store belongings.
Men are required to get a referral to come to Nightwatch.
A limited number of referrals are available from:
- Downtown Emergency Service Center, 517 3rd Ave, Seattle, at 7:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.
- Bread of Life Mission, 97 S. Main St, Seattle, at 4:30 p.m. every day.
- If you were a registered guest of Nightwatch on the previous night, you do not need a referral.
- If you just arrived in town that day, or were released from the jail or hospital, and can show some proof, that can serve as your referral.
Nightwatch opens at 9:00 pm at night. We ask our guests to arrive at 9:00 pm or later. We do not allow a line to form prior to 9:00 pm, as a courtesy to our neighbors.
Once you are at Nightwatch:
- You will receive a meal.
- You will have access to restrooms and water while you are waiting for a shelter assignment.
- When you leave Nightwatch you will get a Metro bus ticket and, if we are able to place you, a pass for the shelter.
- You will also get a colored ticket for admission to Nightwatch the next night.
Many shelter locations require picture ID. If you need help with ID replacement, please let us know.
Women do not need a referral to access services at Operation Nightwatch.
Families with children are not currently served at Operation Nightwatch.
Our Shelter Dispatch Center location:
The building is served by a number of Metro routes (depending on how far you care to walk) and by the streetcar line which connects Pioneer Square with Broadway and First Hill.
- Route 14: On Jackson, one block south.
- Route 7: 12th Ave S. and S. Jackson, three blocks away.
- Route 27: 14th Ave. and Yesler, three blocks to the north.
- Route 36: 12th Ave. S. and S. Jackson, three blocks away.
- Street Car: Stops on 14th Ave S, just a block north of the building.